Sunday, November 18, 2018

Day 43: Alma 32-34

Welcome to Day 43...
Alma was joyful that the poor Zoramites were humble and receptive to the gospel. He reminded us that it's better to be humble without having to be compelled to be so (Alma 32:16).
He then taught that faith is like a seed and must be planted and nourished to grow. Alma encouraged, "...even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words" (Alma 32:27). "It beginneth to grow and enlighten your understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious." (Alma 32:28) 

If we are diligent and patient, the word of God will "take root" and "be a tree springing up unto everlasting life!"  

In time, we will "pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious...sweet above all that which is sweet...and pure above all that which is pure; and...feast...even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst."  (Alma 32:41-42)

      Moses and the Brass Serpent       crucifixion

Alma also reminded us of the story of Moses and the serpent on the staff. "Whosoever would look upon it might live."  Many did not look and perished due to "hardened hearts." 

"How can ye disbelieve on the son of God? Cast about your eyes and begin to believe in the Son of God...and then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye WILL."  (Alma 33:23) 


Amulek taught how to have"hearts full, drawn out in prayer unto Him continually." 


Today our hearts will be lightened and burdens lifted as we nourish our seed of faith by feasting on His word. Enjoy your study session!


  • Opening Song: "Faith"
  • Begin study session with prayer
  • Scripture Study: Alma 32-34 (listen)
  • Study Guide: (here)
  • Video: Discussions on the Book of Mormon Alma 31-32

  • Video: Discussions on the Book of Mormon Alma 33-35
                                  
  • Video: President Dieter F. Uchtdorf on Faith


  • Video: "Alma Teaches About Faith"



Alma 32:27--At least DESIRE to believe...you need only a particle of faith. :)


Elder Bruce R. McConkie of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught how our faith grows:
“We grow in faith; we go step by step from a lower degree to a higher degree. We add grace to grace until eventually we get to a state where we have perfected our faith, as far as at least the generality of righteous, mortal men can, and we are then at the place to go on in eternity in eternal progress. …“Work on the projects ahead and when you have taken one step in the acquiring of faith, it will give you the assurance in your soul that you can go forward and take the next step, and by degrees your power or influence will increase” (Lord, Increase Our Faith, Brigham Young University Speeches of the Year [Oct. 31, 1967], 9, 11).

Alma 34:32-33 "For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors. And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.
Henry B. Eyring's thoughts on this:


“Never forget that you are a [child] of God. He loves you. Live by our standards. Stand up for what you believe in. Sometimes it is not easy, and you may be standing alone for a while. Look for friends with integrity and character, then go to them and express appreciation for their examples. You might even find someone who has been feeling as lonely as you. Pray for guidance and protection from the Lord. He will sustain you. He will become a trusted friend, and you will discover that your example will attract many friends who will take courage from your strength of Character.” --W Craig Zwick, “We Will Not Yield, We Cannot Yield,” Ensign, May 2008, 98.

To better understand the mercy we can receive through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, read this story quoted by President Gordon B. Hinckley:
“The teacher said, ‘Good morning, boys, we have come to conduct school.’ They yelled and made fun at the top of their voices. ‘Now, I want a good school, but I confess that I do not know how unless you help me. Suppose we have a few rules. You tell me, and I will write them on the blackboard.’

“One fellow yelled, ‘No stealing!’ Another yelled, ‘On time.’ Finally, ten rules appeared on the blackboard.

“‘Now,’ said the teacher, ‘a law is not good unless there is a penalty attached. What shall we do with one who breaks the rules?’

“‘Beat him across the back ten times without his coat on,’ came the response from the class.

“‘That is pretty severe, boys. Are you sure that you are ready to stand by it?’ Another yelled, ‘I second the motion,’ and the teacher said, ‘All right, we will live by them! Class, come to order!’

“In a day or so, ‘Big Tom’ found that his lunch had been stolen. The thief was located—a little hungry fellow, about ten years old. ‘We have found the thief and he must be punished according to your rule—ten stripes across the back. Jim, come up here!’ the teacher said.

“The little fellow, trembling, came up slowly with a big coat fastened up to his neck and pleaded, ‘Teacher, you can lick me as hard as you like, but please, don’t take my coat off!’ 

“‘Take your coat off,’ the teacher said. ‘You helped make the rules!’

“‘Oh, teacher, don’t make me!’ He began to unbutton, and what did the teacher see? The boy had no shirt on, and revealed a bony little crippled body.

“‘How can I whip this child?’ he thought. ‘But I must, I must do something if I am to keep this school.’ Everything was quiet as death.

“‘How come you aren’t wearing a shirt, Jim?’

“He replied, ‘My father died and my mother is very poor. I have only one shirt and she is washing it today, and I wore my brother’s big coat to keep me warm.’

“The teacher, with rod in hand, hesitated. Just then ‘Big Tom’ jumped to his feet and said, ‘Teacher, if you don’t object, I will take Jim’s licking for him.’

“‘Very well, there is a certain law that one can become a substitute for another. Are you all agreed?’

“Off came Tom’s coat, and after five strokes the rod broke! The teacher bowed his head in his hands and thought, ‘How can I finish this awful task?’ Then he heard the class sobbing, and what did he see? Little Jim had reached up and caught Tom with both arms around his neck. ‘Tom, I’m sorry that I stole your lunch, but I was awful hungry. Tom, I will love you till I die for taking my licking for me! Yes, I will love you forever!’” [Author unknown.]

After quoting this story, President Hinckley said, “To lift a phrase from this simple story, Jesus, my Redeemer, has taken ‘my licking for me’ and yours for you” (“The Wondrous and True Story of Christmas,” Ensign, Dec. 2000, 4).

  • Record thoughts and impressions in your journal.
  • Close with prayer and have a beautiful day!

1 comment: