Sunday, October 7, 2018

Day 1: 1 Nephi 1-5

Welcome to Day 1 of our 80 Day Challenge!! 

The epic adventure begins...


Today we are introduced to lovable, large-in-stature Nephi, born of goodly parents whom he honored and obeyed - even when his father Lehi dragged his family into the wilderness to "dwell in a tent." We learn so many beautiful lessons from Nephi in these chapters. He's not perfect, he has his doubts and things are difficult for him, but this is how he handles it:


"...I did cry unto the Lord and behold he did visit me and soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore I did not rebel against him like my brothers." (1 Nephi 2:16) 


He was human, but humble and obedient and turned to God for answers - so the Lord was able to work with him! That's reassuring, as we can all be a powerful instrument in the Lord's hands despite our weaknesses if we are humble and willing.

I'm inspired by Nephi's words when he fearfully approached Laban's house for the second time: "And I was lead by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do." (1 Nephi 4:6) How often do we go forward in faith, not having a clue HOW things work out, but feeling the Spirit guiding us to "go and do" certain things?

Nephi was obedient, by nature. He did not seek to be the exception to the commandment, "Thou shalt not kill," but was told by the Spirit THREE TIMES to slay Laban. He was obedient to the Lord's commandments and didn't want to break them. If we are praying and hoping to BE an exception to a commandment, we may be off track.

                    

I am SOOO looking forward to the next 80 days together! If life gets CRAZY and you fall behind, just listen to the audio of the reading assignment, but keep plugging away! There are "make-up days" here and there, so it's very doable! "...he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." (1 Nephi 3:7) Haha.

Some families are tackling the 80 Day Challenge together. Wonderful! I post children's videos on the blog as well, although grown ups enjoy them too. :) You will not always have time to do everything on the blog. The important thing is to read or listen to the reading assignments, and supplement with things on the blog as time permits.

Well, let's hop to it!! Thrilled to have you on board and excited for the spiritual strength and power we are about to generate as we feast on the word of God together! :)
Heidi Jarvis



We will begin each study session with a song and prayer to invite the spirit.

  • Opening Song: "I Will Go and Do What the Lord Hath Commanded"




  • Scripture to Mark and Ponder: 1 Nephi 3:7
  • Children's Videos:



                               
1 Nephi 2:16 "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord, and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like my brothers."

“It is the right and privilege of every man, every women, and every child who has reached the years of accountability to enjoy the spirit of revelation, and to be possessed of the spirit of inspiration in the discharge of their duties as member of the Church.” – 
Pres. Joseph Smith


  • Record thoughts and impressions in your journal.
  • Close with prayer and have a beautiful day! 
Supplemental video: Discussions on the Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 1-2


14 comments:

  1. Heidi...I'm excited to start this challenge. I've been struggling with my daily scripture reading so hopefully by the end of the 80 day challenge I will be back in the groove! Thanks for all you do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is really no excuse on my part for not doing this.... you've made it so easy, especially all the reminders. Thank you Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And remember...you can always catch up if you miss a day or just hop in wherever we are!! :) If that sounds too discouraging, you know the scource of that discouragment. Tell Satan to buzz off and do it anyway!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME!!!! I'm so excited to be a part of this!!! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!!! Wonderful, ladies! So happy to have you with us! And a whole family too!! What a great family tradition. Getting my family to go for it too this time around too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Heidi!! this is great XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're on board. I see now why I delayed this year. Haha. The challenge from the prophet this weekend created the need for starting it NOW. So now it is. Of course, it can be started anytime.

      Delete
  7. Hello Heidi
    Thank you so much for preparing such a wonderful blog to give strength and encouragement while we read the lords words. I am also excited to begin this journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! So glad it's helpful in your desire to read and benefit from the incredible Book of Mormon! Love this journey too!!

      Delete
  8. Wow, our sixth year doing this! And, this time right after our Propet, President Russell M. Nelson just asked the sisters, YW and girls of the church to read the Book of Mormom before the end of the year. Thanks for this help in doing so, Heidi. Love it! Carma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Carma! So good for us. Reading scriptures at this rate and constancy improves our spirituality and outlook on EVERYTHING. Nice to have a structured way of going about it and doing it with friends! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nephi, nephilim,large in stature, mighty men of renown, giants. I wonder if nephi was named nephi because of his size and the name has roots in the word nephilim

    ReplyDelete